Sunday, September 8, 2024

Special Rooms: A Generator

Special Rooms: A Generator

 I use a bunch of the tables from the AD&D DMG Appendix A: Random Dungeon Generation. Particularly, I use the table for stocking rooms - Table V. F.: Chamber or Room Contents. Setting aside issues I've had using this method, the table appears as follows:

The entry for a roll of 18 is "Special," which, as far as I can tell, has no elaboration in the DMG (of course I might just have missed it). In any case, a while ago I started working on a set of tables for generating "special" rooms, starting by ripping off the DMG's description of rooms with pools. My master table looks like this:


d20 Room Seed Completed Link
1 Pool, magical or otherwise X
2 Portal to Another Plane X Section 2
3 Summoning Chamber

4 Channeling Room

5 Plant Life X Section 5
6 Impossible/Alien Architecture

7 Crypt

8 Illusion

9 Magical Item Creation Facilities

10 Mundane Dramatic Architecture

11 Entry to the Underdark

12 Teleportation Chamber

13 Riddle

14 Physical Puzzle

15 Ore Vein

16 Entry to Another Dungeon

17 Alchemic Laboratory X Section 17
18 Intact/Functional Library

19 Game Animal Grounds

20 Farm/Greenhouse 

Each of these entries links to a sub-table detailing the variety of special room. I'll add more details here as the project continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment